The One Where we Deck the Halls

We have spent a joyous Christmas season here in upstate New York; I can't believe our vacation is almost over! Our schedule has been filled to the brim since the moment we arrived, but I was so pleased that we've gotten to visit with everyone while we were here. We made our grand entrance into Neversink early Saturday afternoon and dove straight into Christmas merriment. George's mother hosted an informal Christmas Eve gathering with delicious appetizers and so many desserts that I'm sure I gained a dress size in one night.

Christmas day was full of lots of laughter and the sounds of ripping wrapping paper - there were so. many. presents. George went above and beyond his husband-ly gift-giving duties and surprised me with a GORGEOUS Vera Bradley purse, LL Bean shoes, and.....snowshoes!!! I'm beyond excited to try them out and to have a great way to burn some calories in the frozen tundra of northern Maine. George also stuffed my stocking (or perhaps it was Santa?) with a matching Vera Bradley change purse, lanyard, and a tiny little case for my contacts. We also received lovely gifts from George's family - clothes, candles, delicious smelling bath and body concoctions, books, and George's favorite - a meat grinder attachment for our Kitchen Aid mixer.

While here in New York we have also been able to visit with my best friend and her husband...and I finally got to meet the baby bump she is growing!! He was kind enough to give a good strong kick the first night we were there so I could feel him moving around in there. We exchanged gifts, played some Catan, and got to visit with the entire Krom clan.

For my birthday, George took me into NYC to see the city all lit up and decorated for the holidays. We drove about an hour to the Beacon train station and then rode the train right into Grand Central Station. The city was PACKED beyond capacity, so it was definitely a struggle to forge our way through the crowded streets. We had plans to go to the top of the Empire State building but were told the wait was over four hours so we chose to spend our time elsewhere. We did visit the original Macy's on 34th street (9 floors!!!!) and even though I have seen Miracle on 34th Street probably 100 times, I still couldn't visualize that it was the same store. Then we headed to Times Square and had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe....delicious! We strolled along 5th Avenue and gawked at the beautiful Christmas displays, and watched the skaters on the ice at Rockafeller Center. It was such a fun day - thanks to my hubby for a perfect birthday present!

Sadly, our day in the city ended with the heartbreaking news that a family friend of George's had passed away - at just 30 years old. His beautiful fiance, loving family, and countless friends will certainly miss him more than words can say.

Other holiday activities have included visiting George's extended family, eating WAY too many Christmas cookies, and tonight (our last night here in NY) heading to John and Colleen's for a relaxed, sweatpant-friendly New Year's Eve celebration.

Happy New Year!

Comments

  1. We miss you already friends :( Baby boy will be so large & in charge of my body the next time you see me!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts